House Dust Mite Allergy
House dust mites are tiny, spider-like animals, invisible to the naked eye. They thrive in warm, humid conditions, and the average home provides a number of favourable locations for them. During autumn and winter, with central heating and reduced ventilation, the mite population reaches a peak.
Mites are a major cause of allergy. Sufferers experience symptoms such as rhinitis (sneezing, runny or blocked nose), asthma (coughing, wheezing and occasionally acute breathing difficulty) and occasionally eczema due to direct skin contact with mite allergens (principally mite faeces).
Large colonies of many millions of mites live in mattresses and bedding, where the environment is ideal, and there is a plentiful supply of their main source of food (human skin scales). As a result, sufferers' symptoms are often worse at night due to the high concentrations of allergens in the bed.
Mites are also found in carpets, upholstered furniture, curtains and soft toys.
Prevention of House Dust Mite Allergy
- Because most mites are to be found in the bed, the first measure is to provide special dust-proof encasings for the mattresses, duvets and pillows.
- Where possible, carpets should be replaced with wood, laminate or vinyl flooring, and curtains should be replaced with blinds. Leather upholstery is preferable to fabric.
- Unnecessary textile items should be removed from the bedroom or washed regularly.
- Clothes and soft toys should always be stored in cupboards.
- Bedding and soft toys should be washed regularly at 60C.
- When dusting, a damp duster should be used.
- Carpets and upholstered furniture should be cleaned frequently, using a vacuum cleaner fitted with a HEPA filter.
- In general, airing out rooms daily and keeping humidity low will create an 'antimite' home environment. This is especially important for bedrooms. Room temperatures should be kept below 22C (bedrooms at 18C if possible).
You can buy allergocover products from us.
ALLERGOCOVER® provides protection against mites in the bed.
Allergocover® consists of a tightly woven microfibre fabric, specifically designed to meet the requirements of patients with dust-mite allergies. It retains mites and their allergens efficiently. The most important criterion, mite-allergen proofness, is tested and certified in Germany by RWTUV, which is a German independent technical testing authority.
ALLERGOCOVER® preserves the normal sleeping environment.
Allergocover® is made without any coating or lamination. This leaves the material breathable and highly permeable to water vapour, thus affording normal sleeping comfort and preventing unnecessary sweating. It’s light weight also makes it particularly convenient. At less than 100g per square metre, Allergocover is almost as delicate as silk. The encasing effortlessly slips onto the pillow, duvet or mattress without adding noticeable weight.
ALLERGOCOVER® is low maintenance and durable.
Allergocover® encasings fully encase the mattress, pillow and duvet. They are used beneath ordinary sheets and pillow and duvet cases. The encasings are washable at 60C and suitable for spinning and tumble drying. Minor spotting or staining on the surface can be easily wiped off. Even if the material is just hang out to dry after washing, it will be ready for use again within a few hours. Based on many years of experience, we are able to offer a 12 year warranty for the material and allergen-proofness of the encasings, providing that the instructions for use and maintenance are observed.
ALLERGOCOVER® does not contain any:-
- Harmful substances that pose a hazard to health
- Optical bleaching agents
- Other chemical additives
All bedding products from Diagenics qualify for relief from VAT
In order to claim relief from VAT, all patients or their guardians need to do is sign a VAT declaration form, certifying their eligibility. An example is detailed below.
When ordering from our website, a checkbox is provided to tick, to certify your eligibility.